“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labor, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.”
– President Dwight D. Eisenhower
WAND empowers women to act politically to reduce violence and militarism, and redirect excessive military resources toward unmet human and environmental needs.
Oregon WAND is active and engaged in numerous events throughout state of Oregon. You’re invited and encouraged to attend and participate in any and all events. Please be sure to visit our Upcoming Events page for information about where, when, and how you can participate.
The Goals of WAND
- Challenge and promote alternatives to militarism and violence as the solution to conflict.
- Shift from a military to a civilian based economy to address the threats to our real security, ensuring that human, economic and environmental needs are met.
- Clean up the environmental effects of nuclear weapons production as well as toxic waste at all military facilities, and prevent further contamination.
- Eliminate the testing, production, sale and use of weapons of mass destruction.
- Prevent violence against women.
- Increase women’s political leadership to further WAND’s goals.
There’s never been a more important time to take the action necessary to control run-away Pentagon spending and to have a say in how our financial, political, and environmental resources are distributed here and around the world.