“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labor, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.”
– President Dwight D. Eisenhower
WAND empowers women to be agents of change to reduce violence and militarism, support nuclear disarmament, and redirect excessive Pentagon spending to unmet human and environmental needs.
Oregon WAND is active and engaged in numerous events throughout the state of Oregon. You are invited and encouraged to attend and participate in any and all events.
Also, mark your calendar for the Oregon WAND Program that takes place on the fourth Thursday evening of the month. The program features speakers who discuss topics related to peace-promoting activities and events that affect our community and the world.
Please be sure to visit our Upcoming Events page for more information about this and other events happening in the Eugene and surrounding Oregon locations.
The Goals of WAND
- Challenge and promote alternatives to militarism and violence as the solution to conflict.
- Shift from a military to a civilian based economy to address the threats to our real security, ensuring that human, economic and environmental needs are met.
- Clean up the environmental effects of nuclear weapons production as well as toxic waste at all military facilities, and prevent further contamination.
- Eliminate the testing, production, sale and use of weapons of mass destruction.
- Prevent violence against women.
- Increase women’s political leadership to further WAND’s goals.
There’s never been a more important time to take the action necessary to control runaway Pentagon spending and to have a say in how our financial, political, and environmental resources are distributed here and around the world.